Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory condition of the lungs causing obstructed airflow from the lungs (previously known as Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema). Most common symptoms are chronic cough, sputum production, and breathing difficulty. Risk factors for COPD are smoking, indoor air pollution (biomass fuel used for cooking and heating), outdoor air pollution and occupational dust and chemicals (vapors, irritants, and fumes).
COPD is the fifth leading cause of death as per World Health Organisation 2002 report and likely to be the third leading cause by 2030. It is not only deaths, but the financial burden on individuals and the countries is huge. Regular follow-up with the doctor and taking medication regularly is one part.
Non-pharmacological interventions (Pulmonary rehabilitation) which are useful in the management are:
- Smoking cessation- most important, it helps in a further decline of lung function and symptom improvement
- Diet- those with high BMI (body mass index) increased work of breathing – should lose weight. Those with low BMI-with reduced muscle mass will have a weakness: nutritional supplementation advised
- Exercise- increasing muscle strength, breathing techniques – such as Pranayama are proven to be helpful
- Occupational safety- strategies aimed at reducing the burden of inhaled particles and gases
- Vaccination- flu vaccination and pneumococcal vaccines help in reducing exacerbation of COPD
About Aware Gleneagles Global Hospitals
Our 300 bedded L. B. Nagar Hospital consists of seven-operation theatres with advanced quaternary care facility with state-of-the-art infrastructure certified by NABH, NABL & HALAL. The hospital caters to several key specialties including oncology, neurosurgery, and liver diseases besides various ailments. It brings advanced technologies that drive new and more effective treatments. Aware Gleneagles Global Hospitals cater to several overseas patients suffering from various disorders such as liver ailments, kidney failures, breast cancer, leukemia, neurological disorders amongst others. We have an international reputation as a center of excellence for advanced clinical care.
Aware Gleneagles Global Hospitals is part of Parkway Pantai, a fully owned subsidiary of IHH Healthcare. In India, we operate as a chain of multi-super specialty hospitals offering tertiary and quaternary healthcare services with over 2,000 beds and state-of-the-art, world-class hospitals in Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Mumbai.
We aim to strengthen and expand our leading market position as a destination for multi-organ transplant for patients from India, Africa, the Middle East, and South East Asia. We are committed to further our aspiration of making quality healthcare more accessible to all. Website: www.gleneaglesglobalhospitals.com